Monday, March 1, 2010

California here we come, right back where we started from...




In between our Vegas adventures, Sarah and I took a road trip to San Diego. We needed a break from the restless and crazy Sin City lifestyle before we ended up delirious from exhaustion. The morning we were leaving for Cali, I woke up in Vegas from my 2 hour nap and felt like I was beaten up by Chris Brown. I somehow managed to accumulate a hand full of bruises from my castle adventures, along with bruises going all down my arm from my new star bangle watch. I was wearing my "Lost Vegas" shirt with all the holes, which I gotta say definitely fit how I looked and felt at that moment.

We finally got our rental car and and headed out on the open road with our Chevy Aveo. The sights were beautiful but as for the trip, it was pretty rough. Seeing as though I had 5 total hours of sleep in the last two days, felt like a beaten dog, hung over, having to drive the whole trip as my punishment for keeping Sarah up all night, and half way through the drive a monsoon hit, some points of the trip weren't as fun as I thought they would be.





7 hours later, we finally made it to our hotel. Our hotel, the San Diego Hilton Spa, was freakin' baller. It's nice to be a Hilton Diamond member! Exhaustion hit the minute we walked in the door of our room. We ended up crashing until the next morning.

We awoke early the next morning refreshed and ready to go. We jumped in the rental and headed to Anaheim to Disneyland! Yes, I know I am a 27-year-old woman, but who doesn't love Disneyland? While we were there, we rode every single ride we saw, including Space Mountain a dozen times where Sarah broke her camera. By the end of the day, we were exhausted again. We headed back to our San Diego utopia and called it another early night.






The next morning, we did something we joked about doing, but I really didn't think we would actually do it. Mexico was only 20 minutes away and neither had I nor Sarah ever crossed the border. We didn't want to drive the rental car over the border, so we googled how to walk across the border. We parked the rental in one of the many parking lots by the border and headed towards the huge barbed wire fence. It was a lot easier than we thought. We just walked right in to Mexico. It was easier to walk into Mexico than going through the airport security at La Guardia.




When are feet hit Mexican soil, we were definitely nervous. Our friends kept telling us that we were going to get kidnapped. Most of the people were kind of scary. Being that I lived in Miami for a few months, I knew un poco espanol. I know enough to know what "rubia" and "bonita chicas!" means. Our first 10 minutes in Mexico, we were already eye raped by a few dozen Mexicans and offered "medicine". While walking the streets of Tijuana, a little man named Camillo at a restaurant approached us with drink specials and a menu. We decided to check it out.


Camillo was awesome. He spoke pretty clear English but we tried our Spanish with him. He brought us many Margaritas, enchiladas, and tacos and played us some good ole uncensored rap music. I found this funny because we were in Mexico and thought they'd have a mariachi band or something.


After making a new Mexican friend and having a few Margaritas to settle our nerves, Mexico wasn't half bad. It might be a bit dirty, the guys might be a little creepy, and they might have way too many farmacias, but Mexico did have the best Margaritas and Mexican food ever(obviously!).

That night, we walked around Pacific Beach, or what the locals call "PB". We had sushi at PB Sushi and then called it a night. We knew the next day driving back to Vegas would be a long day.

The next day, it was time to pack up and head back to Las Vegas. I loved beautiful Cali and happy I could add another country to my list of places I've been, but nothing can beat Vegas!

Here's some quotes from the whole trip that might only be funny to Sarah and me, but still wanted to post them.
"I love a big Maine Coon!" -Adam, from the Thunder From Down Under, as he puts his arms out like he's holding a huge cat. Yes, this is what Sarah likes to talk to male strippers about.

"You want medicine?" -crazy Mexican guy in Tijuana

"Did you know the girls from the other night were Storm Troopers?"
"Storm Troopers? Really? Amazing!" -Sarah and I practicing our Australian accents in a delirious moment on the car ride home from Disneyland. We had a picture done with our heads on Star Wars Storm Troopers' bodies.

"You girls dance like rock stars." -bouncer at LAX while proceeding to stamp our hands and lead us up to VIP

"I heard the Thunder." -Sarah
"I felt the Thunder." -Stella

"You got any fruit?" -a guy at a mandatory stop in Cali. So many things I wanted to say in response to this, but I was pretty caught off guard. Apparently you can't bring any fruit into Cali from Nevada. Thank God it wasn't vice versa b/c we had a fruit salad on the way back! Might have had to go to fruit jail.
Things I would have said if I was expecting this:
"Well Sarah here is a little fruity sometimes. Does that count?"
"It depends. Would you call a tomato a fruit or vegetable?"
"Nope. But I do have about a pound of coke in my trunk."
"Why? You hungry? All you damn Californians always trying to be healthy!"
"Nope." said with half of a banana in my mouth.
While being asked, roll down my window, throw an apple at his head and take off!

No comments:

Post a Comment