Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Greetings from New York

Along with a lot of other things I'm still trying to figure out about these New Yorkers up here, there's one thing that happens every time I go out or run into someone I know. When I first started meeting new people up here, I shook their hand, just like any other place in the United States. After the introduction and I saw the same people out again, they would lean in and kiss my cheek. Wait, what? Where am I? Did I move to Italy or France? Or is this person just getting fresh with me? After having this happen on every occasion I went out, I thought, damn these New Yorkers get a little too friendly! It's something I guess I have grown used to after living here for a year and a half. Actually, no, I still don't think I'm fully used to it. I still feel a bit awkward when a person leans in for a kiss on the cheek. I know I'm supposed to do the same and return the kiss on the cheek, but I seem to like to make it awkward. First I'm thinking, which cheek do I go for? Left? Right? I'm left handed and do everything backwards so I'm guessing right cheek? But what if that person is left handed too? Left cheek? I don't wanna make it anymore awkward and miss their cheek completely and hit their lips or nose or eye. Then they might get the wrong idea about us southern girls. So here we are, doing some kind of dance move with our heads straight off the episode of Saved By the Bell when Lisa sprained her ankle(you 80's babies know what I'm talking about and don't act like you've never done "The Sprain"). Then comes the kiss on the cheek part. Do I really kiss their cheek? Or do I just touch my lips to their cheek? Or do I just kinda make a kissy sound in their ear? And am I supposed to kiss the other cheek too? What happened to just an old fashion hug or a "hi" and a wave? Or my way of greeting a friend, a good ole half ass side hug. So if you're a New Yorker and you're reading this, don't stop with the "New York Greeting", I do like to embrace any culture I'm in, but be aware I'm probably not gonna be kissing back.

No comments:

Post a Comment